Author: Allison Whittenberg
Release Date: December 2010
Summary: Wendy Anderson and Hakiam Powell are at opposite ends of the spectrum—the social spectrum, the financial spectrum, the opportunity spectrum, you name it. Wendy lives in an all-white suburb of Philadelphia, where she’s always felt like the only chip in the cookie. Her dad, who fought his way out of the ghetto, doesn’t want her mingling with “those people.” In fact, all Wendy’s life, her father has told her how terrible “those people” are. He even objects to Wendy’s plan to attend a historically black college. But Wendy feels that her race is more than just the color of her skin, and she takes a job tutoring at an inner-city community center to get a more diverse perspective on life.
Hakiam has never lived in one place for more than a couple of years. When he aged out of foster care in Ohio, he hopped a bus to Philly to start over, but now he’s broke, stuck taking care of his cousin’s premature baby for no pay, and finding it harder than ever to stay out of trouble. When he meets Wendy at the tutoring center, he thinks she’s an uppity snob—she can’t possibly understand his life. But as he gets to know her better, he sees a softer side. And eventually—much to the chagrin of Wendy’s father and Hakiam’s cousin—they begin a rocky, but ultimately enlightening, romance.
Signups STILL Open-If you want on this tour, please comment in the chatbox!
First up DC: Morgan: 9101785091401621377875
- Morgan (MN) Rc'd 7/30 Mail by 8/6 DC:03091830000035868796
- Shalonda (GA) Rc'd 8/6 Mail by 8/14 DC:03093220000217432732
- Steph Su (PA) Rc'd 8/19 Mail by 8/26 DC:03093220000106860974
- Ky (NE) Rc'd 9/3 Mail by 9/10 DC:03100480000267160093
- Readergirls (NY) Rc'd 9/10 Mail by 9/17 DC: 0306 1070 0001 2621 8683
- Coll Bookworm (GA) Rc'd 9/21 Mail by 9/28 DC:0310 0480 0002 8710 1694
- Tiger (AL) Rc'd 10/1 Mail by 10/8 DC:03102010000117032319
- Kelly (SC) Rc'd 10/7 Mail by 10/14 DC:0310 2010 0001 8379 7518
- Emily (MI) Rc'd 10/14 Mail by 10/21