Author: John Cusick
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: August 2010
Donated By: Keyona
Summary: "Hello, David. My name is Rose. It’s a pleasure to meet you. We are now entering minute two of our friendship. According to my Intimacy Clock, a handshake is now appropriate…"
David and Charlie are opposites. David has a million friends, online and off. Charlie is a soulful outsider, off the grid completely. But neither feels close to anybody. When David’s parents present him with a hot Companion bot to encourage healthy bonds and treat "dissociative disorder," he can’t get enough of luscious red-headed Rose — and he can’t get it soon. Companions come with strict intimacy protocols, and whenever he tries anything, David gets an electric shock. Severed from the boy she was built to love, Rose turns to Charlie, who finds he can open up, knowing Rose isn’t real. With Charlie’s help, the ideal "companion" is about to become her own best friend.
In a stunning and hilarious debut, John Cusick takes rollicking aim at internet culture and our craving for meaningful connection in an uber-connected world.
Signups CLOSED-Leave State
- James (VA) Rc'd 6/24 Mail by 7/1 DC:0310 0480 0000 7846 1044
- Rose (CA) Rc' d 7/6 Mail by 7/13 DC:9102010521297627575616
- Christie (LA) Rc'd 7/19 Mail by 7/26 DC:03060320000050256824
- Cynthia (TX) Rc'd 7/28 Mail by 8/4 DC:03093220000219922811
- Kelli (IA) Rc'd 8/5 Mail by 8/12 DC:03093220000204689811
- Jessica K(CA) Rc'd 8/14 Mail by 8/21 DC:0310 0480 0003 5375 3390
- Blonde Reads (CO) Rc'd 8/26 Mail by 9/2 DC:03093220000052944605
- Tori (NY) Rc'd 9/22 Mail by 9/29 DC:0309 3220 0001 7280 7149
- Kelly (SC) Rc'd 10/4 Mail by 10/11 DC:0310 2010 0001 8379 7525
- Heather (IL) Rc'd 10/15 Mail by 10/25 DC:03091140000075132219
- Cassandra(MI) Rc'd 10/29 Mail by 11/5 DC:0310 2010 0000 1276 8795